The Parish of St Blaise

The Parish of St Blaise

(Serving the pastoral area of Our Lady of Lourdes and St William, Girlington; St Matthew, Allerton and Sacred Heart, Thornton.)
A Roman Catholic Parish for West Bradford.

St Blaise

While the parish is dedicated to the Patron Saint of Bradford, the parish church is commonly known as St William’s. The present-day parish came into being in 2006 with the reorganisation of pastoral provision in the city and now incorporates the former parish at Thornton. A school chapel was opened in the Brownroyd area of Bradford in 1882 and the parish was created in 1909.

The present church on Ingleby Road, dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes and St William dates from 1926 and was designed by Edward Simpson. It was consecrated in 1952 and the interior was re-ordered in 1971.

In 2014 a major renovation of the church was undertaken by Overton Architects, which saw the installation of the altar and reredos from the recently closed church of The Sacred Heart, Thornton. At the same time, the statue of St. William, which had been placed in the school hall for many years, was returned to the churches.